Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Paleo Stuffed Peppers

I haven't full on started my paleo journey but I did decide to give it a whirl for one dinner.  I was totally winging it and thinking this is either going to turn out great or get me a spot on Worst Cooks in America.   Using all ingredients from Trader Joe's, I started out with browning ground turkey with sea salt, TJ "every day seasoning" and onion.  Then I was thinking what goes in a meatball?  And threw in an Egg.  (Didn't think it through and the egg scrambled.)  Then topped it off with TJ Roasted Garlic spaghetti sauce.  Best sauce I've ever had.
While that was sizzling...I cut and cored my bell peppers.
I really think peppers are pretty.
After making sure they were nice and even, they got stuffed and topped with Feta.  Dairy isn't really allowed on paleo, they suggest you do not eat it for 30 days and slowly add it back in your diet to determine your tolerance. (when I made these I had not gotten to the part in the book that said dairy was a no-no.)
The finished product was pretty darn good if I do say so myself....and I do.

I also tried my hand at a paleo desert.  Chia Seeds are super good for you, high in fiber and swell in liquid.  On the back of the bag it suggested soaking them in coconut or almond milk for a pudding effect.
In my mind it was going to be like rice pudding or tapioca...in reality it was an epic fail.  First off, I'm pretty sure my coconut milk had gone bad.  It didn't taste horrible, but it didn't taste right either.  That's when I noticed on the box "use within 7-10 days of opening".  I had no clue when I opened it, but my gut told me it was around 14 days.  (Mental Note: Mark the date on the next box)  Secondly, I'm not sure if I didn't let the seeds soak long enough or they need to soak in room temperature but they remained sort of crunchy.  I'll have to give it another try eventually.

Lastly, a cute pic of my pup after a long day of playing.  He is my world...you know besides my Hubby =)

No comments:

Post a Comment