Monday, April 15, 2013

Meatball Soup

It's been a while since I've posted and this little ditty is past due.  I started this one way back in March but didnt want to over load on recipes. 

Let me preface that I've never made a meatball.  Truthfully I hardly ever eat them, unless they come in the form of my mom's albondigas (mexican meatball soup).  So this was a huge step for me to make and eat meatballs.

First off I found this recipe for "italian wedding soup" on theFoodee.com (you have to click on the picture to get to the blog it originated from)  I got all my ingredients between Sprouts and Trader Joes.
  • Ground beef pork (1 pound)
  • Basil, dried (1 teaspoon)
  • Onion powder (1/2 teaspoon)
  • Garlic powder (1/2 teaspoon)
  • Carrots (2)
  • Celery
  • Onion
  • Garlic (1 clove)
  • Chicken broth (6 cups)
  • Tomato sauce
  • Cauliflower (1 cup)
  • Frozen chopped spinach (2 cups)
This Mirepoix mix from Trader Joes was a great little time saver for my soup base.  In the pot it went with garlic, spinach, chicken broth and tomato sauce.
My first soup faux pas was that I grabbed my ground pork instead of ground beef out of the freezer.  Oops.
This recipe also called for "ricing" cauliflower.  Let me just tell you, with out a food processor this makes a huge mess.  So I opted out of that and went for almond meal in lieu of bread crumbs and a good old fashion egg to combine my herbs and meat with.
Under cooking pork really freaks me out, so I made sure they were nice and brown before plopping them into the broth.

With garlic salt and ground pepper to taste, I was pleasently surprised with my paleo creation.  Next time I think I'll through in some stewed tomatos.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment